Technology should act as a catalyst, not inhibitor, to business operations. When technology is viewed as an inhibitor, it can introduce complexity, human error or work-arounds that introduce risk.
This is the reality many InfoSec teams find themselves in today with their legacy VPN, Firewall and Network Access Control technology, which were designed to work in old perimeter-centric security models. Remote work, BYOD, edge computing, cloud adoption, DevOps and other Digital Transformation initiatives have pushed these technologies to the breaking point. The result:
- Rule proliferation
- Lack of agility and scalability due to expensive and lengthy hardware installs
- Administrative burden and inconsistent policy management across hybrid environments
- Lack of interoperability between siloed solutions
- Network blind spots
- Broad entitlements ripe for lateral movement
Make Hard, Easier with Appgate SDP
Network security is hard, and we would never go as far as to say it will be easy. However, it can be made easier, which in turn allows IT & Security leaders to focus their limited resources on accelerating transformation efforts and combating an evolving threat landscape. Given the low supply, high demand problem with finding qualified security professionals it makes sense to optimize time spent on highly valuable and critical work rather than the swivel chair and time-consuming administrative tasks. These can be avoided, or at least streamlined.
Appgate SDP is a leading Zero Trust Network Access solution designed for modern IT, which means a robust set of features that strengthen your security posture while unleashing operations. For the purpose of this blog, let’s elaborate on the features that help InfoSec teams make their lives and the lives of their end-users simpler.
- Unified Access Everywhere and Anywhere: Wherever your applications reside Appgate SDP can too. Some like to visualize this as micro-perimeters that protect workloads in public and private cloud environments, as well as on-premises legacy or critical applications. Unified access policies for all users, devices, networks and infrastructure that are simple to understand and write reduce tooling of disparate access solutions, like VPN and NAC. This in-turn alleviates administrative overhead for policy management across your entire user population.
- Appgate SDP Customer Example: A North American government agency was able to rapidly onboard over ten thousand new workers when forced to work from home in 2020. The rapid onboarding process and simple user experience had these new remote workers up and running with secure remote access to corporate resources over a simple internet connection.
- Patented Multi-Tunneling Capabilities: Constant VPN switching frustrates users and slows down productivity. Alternatively, maintaining site-to-site connectivity adds operational complexity (or overhead) and extends an attacker's ability to move laterally. With Appgate SDP users connect once and gain access only to authorized applications across a heterogeneous and distributed IT landscape. Concurrent tunnels avoid costly backhaul and reduce latency utilizing any broadband connectivity.
- Appgate SDP Customer Example: An entertainment services company was able to have all call center agents work from home with a single login experience providing seamless secure remote access to only the resources they needed to do their jobs across multiple resource locations. The high performance and scale of Appgate SDP reduced their latency and jitter and even improved their VoIP MOS, providing an improved support experience for their customers.
- Dynamic Policy Resolution: Think set it and forget it cloud access. Using plain language tagging and environmental meta-data, user policies remain in-sync with infrastructure regardless of underlying addresses or dynamic scaling. As new instances are created or decommissioned so do the preset permissions.
- Appgate SDP Customer Example: A quasi-governmental agency uses meta-data to automatically create access entitlements in near real-time for up to 30,000 newly created resources on a daily basis. Each new instance lives an average of five hours. This level of agility (or agile security) can’t be accomplished with human intervention. It is only possible with dynamic just-in-time entitlement creation.
- Automate & Integrate: As an open platform, Appgate SDP includes an API interface that supports inbound and outbound calls which can integrate into the fabric of your organization, including Identity and Access Management, Directory Services, ITSM, SIEM and Business Support Systems. Extensive scripting capabilities give you the freedom to deploy security-as-code and mature DevOps practices.
- Appgate SDP Customer Example: A large technology company was able to integrate security directly into their workflow. The programmability and robust API’s provided the ability to grant privileged access to critical resources based on ticketing workflows, in their ServiceNow ITSM, to dynamically create rules for secure access to critical resources once a workflow request is approved and remove the entitlements when the ticket is closed. Building security directly into workflows approvals and reducing their audit scope.
Security capabilities are given for SDP and Zero Trust access solutions. It’s the operational excellence Appgate SDP customers enjoy that have them giving us 4.8 out of 5 stars on Gartner’s Peer Insights and also why we’re recognized as a leader in 2020 Zero Trust Forrester Wave.
Unleash Digital Transformation with Zero Trust Security
In this joint webinar with Lumen, previously CenturyLink, we discuss how the potential of Zero Trust to improve security and unlock digital transformation efforts has yet to be fully unlocked. Learn why Zero Trust is not only a paradigm shift in how we protect our organizations, but how we unleash it.
How Appgate Has Helped Improve Business Agility
Jason Garbis, Appgate’s SVP of Product Management & Strategy, provides examples of how customers leverage Appgate SDP features to unleash business agility using automation, orchestration and API integration.
Join a Live Demo of Appgate SDP
Every Wednesday at 3pm EST you can join a live session with an Appgate SDP engineer. See how the software is architected, solves for common use cases and get answers to your questions in real-time.